• Easy

Walk 6 Frodsham Blue Plaques

Frodsham

1.5 miles (2.5 km)

2.5 hours approx

frodsham blue plaque 15 brook house 38 main street

Facilities

  • Toilet Facilities
  • Cafe, Pub or Shop nearby
  • Wheelchair Access
  • Buggy Friendly
  • Dogs permitted (on a lead)

Transport Options

  • Transport via Bicycle
  • Transport via Bus
  • Transport via Train
  • Car Parking Available
In London, the Blue Plaque (BP) Scheme has been running for more than 140 years. Plaques commemorate the link between notable people and buildings. That’s not necessarily the case in Frodsham, as you will discover.

Frodsham became a town in 1992 and adopted the bee as its emblem. That symbol appears on all 30 Frodsham BPs:

  • The first 6 BPs are attributed to The Frodsham Society, an organisation formed in the 1960s that was active until c.1997.
  • 20 BPs were erected under the Frodsham Heritage Economic Regeneration Scheme (HERS) – a jointly- funded 3-year grant spent on environmental improvements between 2002 and 2005.
  • A single BP is associated with the adoption of Frodsham (Town) Conservation Area Appraisal in 2006 – that is number 01 on the walk.
  • The 3 most recent BPs are on properties in Castle Park and were initiated by Frodsham and District History Society.

ROUTE

Begin in station car park and walk up the path towards Blue Hatch, i.e. the opposite end of the car park to the drive-in. Turn left at the top of the footpath and cross the railway footbridge. Continue on the footpath to The Rock and look down on High St. Turn right to Trinity Church spire (01). Retrace steps and proceed to traffic lights (02-05). Cross to The Bear’s Paw (06) and continue on the N-side of Main Street to Marsh Lane and Millstone House (07-16). Cross to the S-side of Main St.

Continue under the railway and enter Castle Park to see 3 more BPs (17-19). Exit via Fountain Lane to Main St. and walk back towards the traffic lights (20-27). Turn right up Church St (28 and 29). Cross to Station Approach and walk up to the garden of the former Stationmaster’s House (30). You have now seen all of Frodsham’s BP buildings.

BLUE PLAQUE BUILDING ADDITIONAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE NOTES
01. Trinity spire Church built 1873 in local sandstone in the Victorian Gothic style. It was partially demolished in the 1970s. The Frodsham Society launched a successful Save Our Spire campaign – it is now a ‘controlled ruin’.

Stop opposite 02. Old Library See image of BP above.

Brick Wesleyan chapel built 1837 soon after High St was graded. The chapel closed in 1937 and became the Library after WW2 until 2013. The building has been extended and converted into apartments.

03. Old Cottage

Dates from 1580; comprises two oak-framed cottages now one, including a cruck-framed one-room cottage typical of the medieval period.

04. Fishermen’s Cottage

Properties recently modernised and individualised.

05. Crosbie House

Built in the Georgian style probably for William Crosbie, partner in the Salt Works, at Frodsham Bridge. William Church’s Crosbie House Academy dates from c 1840.

Cross to 06. The Bear’s Paw

Built 1632 as a coaching inn and posting house – the coat of arms of Earl Rivers of the Savage family is above the main door – the crest being a bear’s paw. Renamed The Bear’s Paw and Railway Hotel in the 1850s; 1903-04 – restored by Douglas & Minshull when the stone mullion and transom windows were reinstated.

07. Cottage Teashop

Built 1628 as 3 oak-framed cottages. In 1908 it became a chip shop.

08. Thatched Cottages

Separately built oak-framed cottages – 89 the oldest.

09. The Old Hall

2 oak-framed 17C cottages became one in the 19C. In the 20C it was greatly extended and converted into a hotel. Closed for refurbishment 2020-21.

10. Town PO

Note correction to PO dates: the Old Post Office was only in this property between 1881-c.1898. Now a private house.

11. Main Street Community Church – the ‘Iron Church’ or ‘Tin Tabernacle’

The ‘Iron Church’ was built from a ‘flat-pack’ delivered to Frodsham station in the 1870s. It became St Dunstan’s, a Chapel of Ease, but acted as the Parish Church 1880-82 whilst St Laurence’s was restored. The bell is said to be a replica of a bell from Brunel’s Great Eastern ship that was broken up on Tranmere Beach. In 1995 the church was moved 3m closer to Ashley House to create Chapelfields. It is one of the best surviving examples of a ‘Tin Tabernacle’.

12. Ashley House

Note correction to ownership: Ashley House was built for John Rigby Pickering, corn merchant, and his wife Ellen, nee Ashley, in the early 1840s. The property was inherited by his wife’s nieces Mary Ellen Ashley and Isabella Frances Ashley. The house remained in the family until Isabella’s death in 1924.

13. 53-57 Main St

17C oak-framed cottages – separately restored in the early 1980s – 55 has an inglenook.

14. 47-51 Main St

17C oak-framed cottages on a coursed sandstone base – restored in 1985.

Cross Marsh Ln, view the Brook Stone and Brook House opposite (see details below and BP above):

The Brook Stone, a granitic glacial erratic, was found locally and mounted on a plinth at this road junction.

15. Brook House

Note correction to usage: built c.1830 in the Georgian style. Brook House was a tannery before it became JD Davies & Co. Builders & Contractors Yard.

Walk on to
16. Millstone House

An oak-framed property with an inglenook. There is a 1693 date inside the house. The Court Baron for Frodsham Lordship met here when it was …The Millstone Inn.

Cross Main St safely, walk on under the railway bridge and into Castle Park by the pedestrian entrance. Turn left along Main Drive to view 3 BPs on Castle Park properties:
17. Castle Park House (BP to the right of the main entrance);
18. Castle Park Arts Centre (BP to left of entrance);
19. Park Court (BP facing the entrance to Main Drive).
Exit left on to Fountain Lane. Take the narrow pavement down to Main St. and turn right on to the S-side of Main St.

20.‘The Gables’

Note correction to ownership: ‘The Gables’ was built in the Georgian style for William Johnson of Acton Grange in 1763 and occupied by his son John. It has passed through many hands including Charles Buchannan, cheesefactor; James Edwards, draper and cotton manufacturer; Samuel Hancock, butcher. Ann Whitley Urmson lived there c.1851. The Pavilion wings give the property a distinctive character.

21. Entrance to army premises

Built in rock-faced red sandstone. Note crown and Prince of Wales feathers on the keystone and the Cheshire Sheafs.

22. Yuet Ben

Built 1852 in Victorian style – housed Manor House School where Prince Waribo of Opobo (Nigeria) was a pupil 1880-82. He died of ‘an acute inflammation of the lungs’ after playing cricket in April and is buried in St Laurence graveyard.

23. 68 Main St

The timber framing was discovered when HERS-funded renovations took place in 2003. It was a butcher’s shop for over 100 years.

24. 84 Main St

17C oak-framed property formerly called ‘The Manor House’. Timbers are secured with wooden pegs and bear Roman numerals suggesting they were first assembled off-site and delivered as a ‘flat-pack’.

25. The Queen’s Head

Built c.1580. Frodsham’s oldest coaching inn was called the ‘King’s Head’ until Queen Victoria’s reign. It was given a new façade in the early 19C. See evidence of coach house and stables in the brickwork to the rear.

26. TSB

Note: this property was purpose-built as the Town Hall in 1852. It was funded by the issue of 13 shares at £65 each. See also, the Domesday plaque on the front façade.

27. Golden Lion

Built as a late Georgian hotel although the cellars are older. Records trace the site back to a burgage plot in 1361.

Turn right into Church Street

28. K4 Kiosk

Cast iron ‘vermillion giant’ designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott c.1927. It provided a telephone, post box and stamp machine.

29. Cholmondeley Arms

Built 1891 in Victorian ‘magpie’ style – note machine-cut timbers and metal fixings, cf. 84 Main Street. Walk up Station Approach opposite the Cholmondeley Arms to view the last BP in the stationhouse garden. Access the platform and ascend the station footbridge to view…

30. Frodsham Station

The station buildings adjacent to the Manchester line were built in the Victorian Gothic style. In 1898 these buildings were moved back c.2m from the platform edge.

Complete the crossing of station footbridge back to the car park.